There are two things I know as a Self Proclaimed Natural Mommy…
1. As the “Natural” part of me, the shelves and isles of “paraben” and “sulfate” free items, tend to have other ingredients I can’t pronounce, and are way to expensive for 1 fl oz…
2. As the “Mommy” part of me, “MOMMY, I bumped my ________________….(fill in the blank… what don’t they bump, and what don’t they run into?….) Is a phrase heard at multiple intervals of every day of my life…
Therefore I like to keep a homemade all-purpose salve handy at all times. The healing properties of herbs is off the charts, and can speedily help the healing of bumps, bruises, eczema, rash, skin irritation, cracked skin, scrapes, scars, burns, sun burns, bug bites and all types of ow-ies I can’t even name them all…
“Mommy… my finger hurts….”
“Put some salve on…”
Dilemma solved and I didn’t even have to take a break from laundry…
Here’s how to make it…
Start with a nice neutral oil… I like mostly Olive Oil as it is easily accessible and pretty cost efficient. However, Safflower, Sweet Almond, Jojoba or Sunflower are my other favorite carrier oils so you can take your pick.
First you need to Infuse your oil with the following herbs:
Basic Salve Ratio:
for every 8 oz oil, use 1-2 oz wax (more if you like a hard balm or live where its cold, less if you like it softer or live where it’s hot…)
1. Slowly heat the oil and wax over medium low heat until wax is melted. This is important to do slowly and at low heat because heat will kill all the good you just infused into the oil.
2. Pour into clean sterile jars
3. Add about 10 drops Grapefruit Seed extract, 3 caps or pumps of vitamin E for extra benefits that double as a preservative, and 10 drops lavender essential oil.
Cover and Allow to cool.
Label and store. Salve has gone rancid when it has an unpleasant odor (I assume… I have not had any long enough for rancidity)